Spiced Pear Cake
Prep time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 50 minutes
A gluten free spiced pear cake - the perfect afternoon treat.
This recipe is a great afternoon treat with a cup of tea in the sunshine.
I have partnered with Tru-Cape to create some wholesome plant based recipes using their fresh produce: apples and pears. This is the second recipe in that series. I hope these recipes inspire you to spread kindness, compassion and love this festive season and most importantly, everyday.
DID YOU KNOW?
Pears are highly nutritious and are packed with fibre and antioxidants. They're high in vitamin C, vitamin K and potassium. They're also super beneficial for:
-skin and hair health
Let’s bake ☺
1.5 cups gluten free flour
½ cup almond flour
½ cup coconut sugar
½ cup coconut oil, melted
½ cup plant based milk
3 flaxseed ‘eggs’ (3 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 6 tbsp warm water)
1 Tru-Cape pear, peeled and sliced into blocks
3 tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
For the topping:
1 pear, sliced
2 tbsp maple syrup
Toasted coconut flakes
Plant cream (I used whipped coconut)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 170C.
2. Make the flax ‘eggs’ by combing the ground flaxseeds and water together in a small bowl or cup.
3. Sift the flour, almond flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, salt and spices into a bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the coconut oil, plant based milk, maple syrup and apple cider vinegar. Mix well. Add the flaxseed mixture and stir to combine.
5. Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Don’t over mix.
6. Add the blocks of pears.
7. Line a baking tin with grease proof paper and smear lightly with coconut oil.
8. Pour the mixture in.
9. Place the sliced pears onto the cake in a circular around the middle and lightly brush them with maple syrup.
10. Bake for 50 minutes or slightly longer if needed depending on your oven. I like to text the centre of the cake by gently inserting a knife and once it comes out dry the cake can be removed from the oven and allowed to cool.
11. Serve with toasted coconut flakes and plant cream.
Recipe by Mira Weiner
Styling and photography by Lana Kenney