Pulled BBQ Jackfruit & Mushroom Flatbreads with Chargrilled Zucchini & Coriander Raita
Prep time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 1 hour
Serves: 4 hungry humans
The ultimate vegan flatbread wrap with all the trimmings!
Loved whipping up this scrumptiousness for COBB South Africa , the COBB is so easy and versatile to use - which is perfect for a little Weiner like me as I love braai-ing but I'm not great with starting fires haha. It's so simple to ignite and once you've got it going you can do multiple cooks with it - from grilling baking and roasting to to stir frying and smoking. It's also an energy efficient cooker too and works really well with eco friendly fire starters!
Let’s cook ☺
Ingredients for flatbreads
2 cups organic stoneground flour
¾ cup + 2 tbsp plant based yoghurt (I used coconut)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed dried herbs (optional)
1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
Ingredients for homemade BBQ sauce
1 cup sugar free tomato sauce
½ cup water
¼ cup apple cider vinegar with ‘the mother’
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp sweetener of choice (coconut sugar / maple syrup / agave syrup)
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
3 tbsp tamari
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
2-3 drops liquid smoke
Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for pulled mushroom & jackfruit filling
1 medium sized red onion, finely chopped
400g tin of jackfruit, drained + shredded
1.5 cups homemade BBQ sauce
540g mixed exotic mushrooms, shredded (I used a mix of oyster, brown + white shimeji mushrooms)
Pink Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil for cooking
Ingredients for vegan coriander raita
1 cup coconut yoghurt
1 baby marrow, grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
½ cup fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
¼ cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
Juice from half a lemon + more if you like it lemony
Pink Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for chargrilled zucchinis
2 large zucchinis
Olive oil for brushing
Squeeze of lemon juice
Mixed dried herbs
Pink Himalayan salt and pepper
Quick pickle radishes with apple cider vinegar + pink Himalayan salt
Red cabbage sauerkraut
Sliced spring onions
1. To make the flatbreads, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix together the plant based yoghurt and olive oil. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Mix well and knead the mixture so that everything is well combined. You want the dough to feel light. Roll into a ball and brush with olive oil, place into a covered bowl for 30 minutes to rest. Once well rested, slice the dough into 4 pieces and roll each piece out into a round flatbread. Using the COBB frying pan, make sure it is nice and hot – then place the rolled out flatbreads onto the pan. Cook for a few minutes until they start to go golden in colour, flip over and continue to cook on the other side. Watch them carefully!
2. To make the BBQ sauce, combine all the ingredients together in a blender or Nutribullet and blend until smooth.
3. To make the pulled mushrooms and jackfruit filling. Place the COBB frying dish onto the COBB and once it is hot, add the olive oil and red onion. Sauté the onions until they have cooked down, then add the shredded mushrooms and jackfruit to the pan. Mix well and season with salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until the mixture has reduced in size. Add the homemade BBQ sauce and continue to cook until the sauce thickens up. Remove immediately and set aside.
4. To make the vegan coriander raita, combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and mix well. Can be refrigerated until serving time.
5. For the chargrilled zucchinis, start by slicing them length ways. In a bowl, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, dried herbs, salt and pepper. Using the COBB griddle pan, place the zucchini slices onto the grill and brush with the marinade. Cook for a few minutes on each side making sure the pieces are nicely coated with the marinade mixture.
6. Pile up your flatbread and enjoy!
Recipe by Mira Weiner
Styling & Photography by Samantha Lowe