Chargrilled Corn on the 'Cobb' with Cashew, Coriander & Lime Cream
Prep time: 40 minutes (excludes soaking time)
Cooking time: 15 minutes
The best chargrilled corn topped with a luscious green cashew dressing!
Loved whipping up this scrumptiousness for COBB South Africa . In case you needed reminding about my current obsession with corn. Especially now that it's in season and organic corn is available again, I am loving this recipe even more.
These chargrilled mealies are so good and I made them on my outdoor bestie - which means you can literally cook anywhere but the kitchen. The COBB is the best choice for outdoor entertaining, camping and even more picnics in your garden. Al fresco dining made easy!
They're available directly from the online COBB store or through Yuppie Chef and Takealot.
Let’s cook ☺
Ingredients for the chargrilled corn
10 corn on the cob with husks intact
Vegan cashew cultured butter
Chopped fresh herbs (I used flat leaf parsley, coriander and chives)
Fresh lime juice
Generous pinch of Pink Himalayan salt + black pepper
Ingredients for cashew, coriander & lime cream
2 cups raw cashew nuts, soaked overnight
1 cup water
½ cup fresh coriander leaves
½ cup fresh lime juice
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp maple syrup
2 tbsp pickled jalapenos + 2 tbsp brine from pickled jalapenos
Pink Himalayan salt + black pepper to taste
1. Choose corn that has tight husks on the bottom so that they can be used to plait. Gently remove the husk from top to bottom of the corn. Remove the hair – this is actually very medicinal and can be used with any leftover husks that may have fallen off to make a delicious and nutritious corn stock. Medicinally it can also be used as a tea to assist with diabetes, high blood pressure, inflammation fatigue and high cholesterol levels. It is often used as a natural diuretic too. Ok back to the corn! Braid the husk and tie at the end.
2. To make the herb butter, mash the butter with a fork and add the chopped herbs, lime juice, salt and pepper together. Mix it well.
3. Place the frying pan onto the COBB, add a drizzle of olive oil and once nice and hot place the corn onto the frying pan. I managed to fit 4-6 at a time. Scoop generous lashings of the herb butter onto the corn and grill for 4-5 minutes on each side. Turn them over and baste them again with the herb butter. Watch them carefully as you want a delicious char but not totally burnt corn!
4. Serve with creamy cashew, coriander and lime cream, freshly chopped coriander and lime wedges.
5. To make the cashew, coriander and lime cream. Place all the ingredients into a blender or Nutribullet and blend until smooth and creamy. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander, chopped jalapeno pickles and pieces of chargrilled corn.
Recipe by Mira Weiner
Styling & Photography by Samantha Lowe