Pear Tart with Cashew Cream Cheese & Garden Greens
Prep time: 30 minutes (excluding soaking of cashew nuts)
Baking time: 30 minutes
A beautiful summer tart - great for alfresco dining in the sunshine!
A little summer tart - a great al fresco lunch or dinner in the garden!
DID YOU KNOW?
Pears are highly nutritious, promotes gut health, have anti-inflammatory properties and boost heart health. They also contain lots of fibre, high levels of antioxidants and are packed with vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium and copper. They're beneficial for skin and hair health plus they improve bone health and blood circulation. A pear a day!
Let’s make it ☺
Ingredients for the tart
400g vegan puff pastry
2 pears, thinly sliced
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp lemon juice
Plant based milk for brushing the pastry
Pinch of black pepper
Ingredients for the cashew cream cheese
1 cup cashews, soaked overnight or in hot water for 3-4 hours
½ cup water
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp garlic powder
Pinch of sea salt
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
2. Make sure the puff pastry is defrosted and roll it out. Fold the edges in on the sides and using a fork make patterns across the edges as well as across the middle of the rolled out pastry. Brush the pastry with plant milk and bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden.
3. To make the cashew cream cheese, rinse the soaked cashew nuts and place into a high speed blender along with the water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder and sea salt. Blend until a beautiful rich and silky smooth consistency.
4. In a bowl, combine the pear slices with the lemon juice, maple syrup and black pepper. Mix well.
5. Remove the pastry from the oven and place the pears on top. Bake in the oven for another 10-15 minutes. Keep an eye on the pastry as you want it to be nice and golden.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before decorating with generous dollops of the cream cheese, fresh rocket, thyme sprigs, toasted walnuts and edible flowers.
Recipe by Mira Weiner
Styling and photography by Lana Kenney